Thursday, March 1, 2018

Week 7 Storytelling: Duryodhana & Karna vs. Arjuna et. al

Several people chattered and argued in the courtroom as they waited for my arrival. As I enter the courtroom everyone went silent. 

KARMA: "Well if it isn't Duryodhana and Karna, the troublemakers. To what do I owe this pleasure?"


DURYODHANA: "Karma, you have to help me, the Pandavas are after me. They're trying to kill me! They need to be arrested."


KARNA: "It's true your Honor, they tried to kill me too, Arjuna broke the rules during battle."


KARMA: " First of all, do not call me Karma, it's your Honor . Secondly, why should I help you of all people Karna?  I watched the battle between you and Arjuna, and saw you break the rules as well. You also let your sister-in-law be ridiculed in public, not to mention you ganged up on and murdered your own nephew. Your the last person that needs to be talking about rules, so why don't you just take a seat and shut up."

"As for you Duryodhana, I believe there is more to this story so I am going to ask you again, are you sure that is all that happened?"


DURYODHANA: "Positive!"


KARMA:"Very well then. Pandavas, why don't you tell me your side of the story?"


ARJUNA: "Your Honor,  Karna disrespected our wife, He also killed my boy! During our battle, I was trying to fix my weapon and he continued to attack me instead of pausing like the rules said. What kind of father would I be if I let all of that go? ""

"Duryodhana has continuously harassed me and my brothers after we asked him to stop. Before we got here he stHe also took away our kingdom. He tricked us and made us go into exile and then sent his men to come kill us.


KARMA: "I see. Duryodhana you this was your chance to take responsibility and yet you still lied to my face. It also sounds like you neglected your dharma as a king in your fit of rage and jealousy. Unfortunately for you, I will not grant the order nor will anyone be going to jail. In fact, I'm going to set both you and Karna free. "

DURYODHANA: "But you can't do this! Your suppose to protect us."


KARMA: "Actually, no Duryodhana, my dharma is to make sure everyone gets what they deserve based on their actions. And it looks like based on your actions, you need to be taught a lesson. Good luck, your going to need it. As for you Karna, you abused your powers so I am taking them away from you. Although what your mother did to you was unfair, that does not excuse your actions."


I banged my gavel with finality.


DURYODHANA: "They'll have to catch me first!"


KARNA: "Me too!"


Both Duryodhana and Karna ran out of the court.


KARMA: "I am ordering the Pandavas children be put in protective custody immediately and keep them in custody until Duryodhana is caught. Pandavas, what are you waiting for? Go after him!"


The Pandavas brothers quickly run out of the courtroom to pursue Duryodhana. I sighed. I knew this was going to happen. I took this case because the children needed to be protected. I know the brothers will slay Duryodhana and his men but he has a whole army after the Pandavas and the children have also come in harm's way. This was the only way to protect them. I know they will catch him soon but for now, I can only wait and watch.  I admit, Arjuna hasn't been the best father but the love he has for his children is obvious. He was nearly broke at the mention of his son. 

 I'm not too worried about Karna since his powers have been taken away. He was also just another one of Duryodhana's cronies. I can't help but feel a little bad for him. I'm sure if his mother hadn't abandoned him and if the injustice of the caste system hadn't limited his abilites , he would've turned out to be a great man. Despite his actions though, I made sure to give everyone who has wronged him their karma as well. Kunti lost her husband and suffered with her sons as a consequence of abandoning him. Drona got his before he even met Karna when his best friend rejected him, and then again when he was killed. It's was the least I could do for the poor guy.

All of a sudden my phone beeped and I smirked at the image. I knew they wouldn't go very far. 


Image sent to Karma's phone
(Wikimedia Commons)


Author's Note: I rewrote the story based on the Arjuna and Karna and Duryodhana in the Lake. Since Karna has been loyal to Duryodhana I thought I would show that in this story when Karna vouches for Duryodhana about the Pandavas trying to kill him. In the original story of Arjuna and Karna, Balarama is the one who confronts Karna about all the things he has done after he says the battle is unfair but in this story I had Karma ask him those question instead. I also wanted to put the Pandava brothers' kids in protective custody because it was never their battle to begin with but they ended being drawn into it.

The I called the brothers Pandavas since that is what they've been referred to throughout most of the Mahabharata and let Arjuna represent them because since he had battled with Karna and Duryodhana.

Duryodhana never directly takes responsibility for his actions which is why I had him lie to Karma. In the story his wife Krupi told him to try and make peace but he did not feel the need to because he had done so many bad things which is why Karma mentions giving him another chance. He had several chances to fix things with the Pandavas but never did. His defiance is demonstrated in this story when he talks back to Karma. Although the theme is the same as most of my other stories, this one is a little different because there were more than two parties arguing, not to mention one them openly defies karma.

Bibliography

Arjuna and Karna by Donald A. Mackenzie.

Duryodhana in the Lake by Donald A. Mackenzie.

PDE Mahabharata

4 comments:

  1. Chandni, WOW!
    I loved your setup of this story. It was so creative, and it was so enjoyable to read. I recently wrote a story in the set up of a script, and this was very similar. It caught my eye, and I was so excited to read it. Continue to challenge yourself to write in new and creative ways! Also, your story helped to clarify some points that, when I read the epic the first time, confused me. Thanks for helping me gain a better understanding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chandi!
    Cool! This is the same story that you put into your porfolio! I really appreciate the aspect that you take as being a Judge. I think it is really neat to see how justice is taken in the course of these epics. I often wonder what the fate of these heroes are as I am reading about them. Thanks once again for sharing this cool story! I look forward to reading more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chandi,
    I really liked that you made Karma a judge seeking justice. One thing I did notice is that you wrote "off all people" as opposed to "of all people". The biggest reason this sticks out to me is because "offing someone" is a slang term used in assassination. So I read this initially as Karma asking why Karma should help him kill someone. Other than that I really enjoyed the story and found it very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Chandi, great story. I thought that this was a really creative approach to the source material. I really liked the courtroom drama approach. You did a really good with the dialogue and you flowed in and out of the dialogue well. The story had a real noir vibe to it. I also liked the open ended ending to your story and your image.

    ReplyDelete