Thursday, February 1, 2018

Week 4 Storytelling: Karma is About to Take Over

The couple returned to the kingdom where they were welcomed with open arms after being exiled for fourteen years. A coronation was held for Rama to officially make him king. After he became king, he began his duties with Sita faithfully by his side. Not much happened afterwards until a month later.

A messenger walked into the palace and said "Rama how can you still be with her?" Rama looked at him and sternly asked, "What do you mean? She is your queen, how dare you disrespect her!" replied Rama trying to keep his cool. "Haven't you heard the rumors? People are saying that she was with another man!" said the messenger."She was kidnapped? What do you expect? It's not like anything happened. Did it?" he wondered looking at Sita.

"See even your doubting her. I demand she be tested!", said the messenger. "Are you serious right now? Your going to listen to rumors instead of your own wife?" exclaimed Sita as she looked at him in disbelief. "I have to give the people what they want Sita." replied Rama solemnly. "So if the people tell you to jump off a cliff, would you?" asked Sita. Rama remained silent. Of course he wouldn't, that would be preposterous.

The people of Ayodhya gathered in the royal court to witness the test of Sita to see if she was really telling the truth, while others protested in support of Sita"Fine! You want proof? I'll give you all proof!" she yelled at the crowd. And with that she jumps into the fire. People gasped in shock and worry for their beloved queen. As the flames went up, Sita remained standing in all her glory.  "You see? I'm innocent!" said Sita as she began to sob. "How could you all accuse me of infidelity? I have loved Rama ever since I met him! I wouldn't even let Hanuman touch me when he tried to save me!" continued Sita with pain in her voice. The people looked down in shame, others smiled, while some looked at the messenger in anger. 

Sita steps out of the fire looking as beautiful as always. As Rama steps towards her, she stops him. "Don't! It's obvious you don't trust me." she said with hurt. "I am leaving. I'll be sure to send you the divorce papers. I'll see you in court." and with that she left to go pack her bags to go back to her kingdom. People began mourning at the news of Sita's departure. Rama stared in shock along with the rest of the people as he watched her walk away. He could not believe what just happened. He knew she was innocent but needed to prove it to the people of his kingdom so that he would not be ridiculed. He just watched his queen leave just like that. With unshed tears, Rama decided he wasn't going to let her go that easy. Not if he can help it, but little did he know that karma is about to take over. 

Author's Note: So this is a possible preview of my project. I feel like Sita needs to be stronger and thought I would tell the story in a more modern version. I also feel like everyone's opinions are different and believe some people must have believed her but back then it was a majority rule, not to mention women did not really get much of a voice.

So tell me what you guys think! I would really appreciate the feedback 😃

Bibliography

PDE Ramayana: Rama and Sita

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chandni!

    I think Sita's treatment stood out to me most of all in our readings these past two weeks, and I'm so happy to read a story that gives her another option than meekness and sorrow! A modern rendition could play out so differently. Sita deserves better, and your assigning her a voice (and a temper) makes her much more real to me than the quiet and demure woman we read about. I wonder if you will use the rest of the story: of Rama's treatment of her, after they arrive home and a day-laborer's gossip causes him to basically dump her into exile? Rama's priority choices are ample fodder for a righteously indignant Sita.

    I am eager to read more, and I wonder what else could happen if Sita pursues legal action against Rama... It could even become a landmark court decision (equal rights/treatment for women, or innocent-until-proven-guilty). Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chandni! I really enjoyed this story, especially because it has an aspect of modernness. I feel like Sita did overreact a little. I expected a little argument between the two, but it ended up in Sita saying she wants a divorce, which caught me by surprise! Great job with your story though. I can't wait to read more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this story overall. I think adding more to the beginning of your story whether it be describing the setting more in depth, or a character, or a relationship more in depth would create more attachment to your characters throughout the rest of the story. I like how you are developing Sita's character into a more independent and strong person. The back and forth dialogue made the story fun to read, and easy for me to separate the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'm not the only one who wished Sita would have a bit more backbone!

    I have to remember sometimes that she had the fortitude to stay with her captor, refusing his advances and offers of royalty, for an entire year while she waited to be rescued. It does annoy me a bit that it's kind of a Mario and Princess Peach situation, and she doesn't even get the reunion she wants when she finally gets released. Great storytelling!

    ReplyDelete