Finally, Krishna and Balarama walk in each holding an arm of man wearing an orange jumpsuit. His long black hair and a beard looks tangled. He looks like he hasn't showered in days. This must be Kamsa.Kamsa's arms and legs are chained together as they bring him in. The people glare at him with hatred and disgust. Some people even yell obscenities at him.
Everyone turns their attention from Kamsa to their prince, Krishna. They look at him in admiration. He is looking rather stunning with his black, long, and wavy hair. He is dressed in a suit with brown dress shoes. They all look at him with love and adoration. I bang my gavel to let everyone know that the trial is starting. Everyone goes silent.
JUDGE KARMA: But that doesn't explain why you wanted to kill everyone else, including your own father, Ugrasena.
KAMSA: If I killed Krishna, my father would've taken the kingdom away from me so I held him captive until I could find time to kill him. All of Krishna's and Balarama's devotees would've been angry and would've come after me. I felt threatened!
KRISHNA(Krishna laughs in mock humor): Really, Kamsa? You of all people felt threatened? By a baby? This is rich! You are such a coward! You got other people to fight your battles for you unless the person was at a disadvantage. Admit it, you just wanted to rule the world and corrupt it.
KAMSA(Kamsa yelling at Krishna): That is not true! I was scared for my life! And that's King Kamsa to you, boy!
JUDGE KARMA: You better tone it down right now, Kamsa. I can make you disappear with a snap of my fingers.
Judge Karma snaps her fingers to make her point causing Kamsa to flinch.
KRISHNA: It's fine, your Honor. We all know what a huge coward he is. He'll probably just go find someone to do the dirty work for him. He did chain my birth parents up after all so that he could personally kills all my infant siblings. I bet if my parents hadn't been chained up and locked in a cell, my father could've beat him to a pulp.
KAMSA: Are you really going to let him talk to me like this, your Honor?
JUDGE KARMA(Judge Karma puts her hand up causing Kamsa to smirk): That's enough, Krishna.
JUDGE KARMA(Looking at Kamsa): It is obvious that you're delusional, Kamsa. Unfortunately for you, you aren't delusional enough. You clearly knew what you were doing is wrong and yet you still went through with it. I have to agree with Krishna, you are indeed a coward. You only killed those innocent and helpless babies after you chained Devaki and Vasudeva up. Krishna, is right. You are weak.
KRISHNA(Krishna's arms are crossed): Don't forget selfish, your Honor.
JUDGE KARMA(Giving Krishna a warning look, Krishna meekly smiles and sits down. Looking back at Kamsa): You know what, Kamsa? I think you're a fool. Did you ever think that maybe your actions is what would lead to your demise? Or that maybe that the sage was giving you a wake up call to change your behavior? Or even that the sage might be tricking you?
KAMSA(As Karma spoke to him, his smirk slowly falls): Well no your honor but -
JUDGE KARMA(Judge Karma interrupting Kamsa puts a hand up): Enough! Kamsa, your are undeserving of being king. I am stripping you of your royal title and granting it back to King Ugrasena. Furthermore, you will be imprisoned in the dungeons of Yadavas for the rest of your life like you did to your family members. If King Ugrasena decides he wants to do something else with you, he is welcome to but just know if you are set free, I will personally see to it that you do not get to live your life peacefully. In fact, I am designating Krishna to make your life a living hell if you are ever set free.
KAMSA(Kamsa looks at Judge Karma in shock): Your Honor, I know what I did was wrong. But
you have to understand that I was only trying to protect myself. Also Krishna killed people too!
JUDGE KARMA: See now that was your biggest mistake. You were only looking out for yourself. You did not care for your kingdom, your family, or anyone else. You had a dharma as an uncle, and a king, and you neglected it for your own gain. I hope you can makes things right in your next life but for now, all I'm going to say is, good riddance. And for the record, Krishna didn't commit murder. He was using self-defense and it wasn't just for himself. It was for everyone that YOU put in danger.
KAMSA(Kamsa looking at Krishna) : Krishna, you have to stop her, your my nephew. Please, we can work this out outside of the court.
KRISHNA: I'm afraid that's a little too late, Uncle.
JUDGE KARMA: The decision has been made! Kamsa, you will die at the hands of your own nephew.
I banged my gavel in finality.
AUTHOR'S NOTE: This story is based off the Bhagwat: The Krishna Avatar by Amar Chitra. In the original story a sage warns Kamsa about his death. He is told that one of Devaki's children will kill him. He holds Vasudeva and Devaki captive in a cell and kills all of their newborns but Vasudeva had manages to sneak Krishna out and switch him with his friend's baby, who was a girl. When he threw the baby girl, a goddess had appeared and cursed him. He had eventually found Krishna, and sent demons to go and kill him but Krishna was too powerful. Krishna kills Kamsa in a wrestling match. After he killed Kamsa, he gave the title of Yadavas back to his grandfather.
In this story, Judge Karma sentences Kamsa in way that allows him to live an unhappy life. I did that because I wanted Krishna still be able to have the power to kill him like he did in the original story. I felt like his death was too quick in the original story and that he didn't really pay for what he did.
Bibliography
Bhagwat: The Krishna Avatar by Amar Chitra Katha
JUDGE KARMA(Looking at Vasudeva and Devaki): Hello Vasudeva and Devaki. Thank you for coming today. It must've been difficult for you both.
VASUDEVA(Vasudeva and Devaki smile): Thank you, Your Honor. We are honored to be in your presence.
KRISHNA: Hey!
NANDA(Nanda and Yashoda chuckle): He was quite the handful, but we loved him nonetheless, Your Honor.
JUDGE KARMA(Looking at Nanda and Yashoda): Nanda, Yashoda, I hope you guys are doing good as well. It must have been so stressful and hard to raise that mischievous son of yours.
KRISHNA: Hey!
NANDA(Nanda and Yashoda chuckle): He was quite the handful, but we loved him nonetheless, Your Honor.
JUDGE KARMA(Judge Karma smiles and then looks at Kamsa): Kamsa, I've heard so much about you! It's finally nice to meet the person that has been terrorizing all of Yadavas and Vrindavana. I hear you held your cousin captive and also killed innocent babies. Care to explain?
KAMSA(Kamsa looking uncomfortable replies): It's actually King Kamsa, Your Honor.
JUDGE KARMA: I will address you as I please. Only a true king deserves such a royal title, and based on your deeds, you are far from it. Now are you going to explain yourself or should I just give you the sentence?
KAMSA: I was only trying to protect myself. They were all going to kill me!
JUDGE KARMA: I will address you as I please. Only a true king deserves such a royal title, and based on your deeds, you are far from it. Now are you going to explain yourself or should I just give you the sentence?
KAMSA: I was only trying to protect myself. They were all going to kill me!
JUDGE KARMA(Judge Karma feigns shock): Kill you? Please do tell.
KAMSA: A sage came to my kingdom and warned me that one Devaki's children would kill me. He never said when or how. All he said was that I would die at the hands of my cousin's child.
JUDGE KARMA: But that doesn't explain why you wanted to kill everyone else, including your own father, Ugrasena.
KAMSA: If I killed Krishna, my father would've taken the kingdom away from me so I held him captive until I could find time to kill him. All of Krishna's and Balarama's devotees would've been angry and would've come after me. I felt threatened!
KRISHNA(Krishna laughs in mock humor): Really, Kamsa? You of all people felt threatened? By a baby? This is rich! You are such a coward! You got other people to fight your battles for you unless the person was at a disadvantage. Admit it, you just wanted to rule the world and corrupt it.
KAMSA(Kamsa yelling at Krishna): That is not true! I was scared for my life! And that's King Kamsa to you, boy!
JUDGE KARMA: You better tone it down right now, Kamsa. I can make you disappear with a snap of my fingers.
Judge Karma snaps her fingers to make her point causing Kamsa to flinch.
KRISHNA: It's fine, your Honor. We all know what a huge coward he is. He'll probably just go find someone to do the dirty work for him. He did chain my birth parents up after all so that he could personally kills all my infant siblings. I bet if my parents hadn't been chained up and locked in a cell, my father could've beat him to a pulp.
KAMSA: Are you really going to let him talk to me like this, your Honor?
JUDGE KARMA(Judge Karma puts her hand up causing Kamsa to smirk): That's enough, Krishna.
JUDGE KARMA(Looking at Kamsa): It is obvious that you're delusional, Kamsa. Unfortunately for you, you aren't delusional enough. You clearly knew what you were doing is wrong and yet you still went through with it. I have to agree with Krishna, you are indeed a coward. You only killed those innocent and helpless babies after you chained Devaki and Vasudeva up. Krishna, is right. You are weak.
KRISHNA(Krishna's arms are crossed): Don't forget selfish, your Honor.
JUDGE KARMA(Giving Krishna a warning look, Krishna meekly smiles and sits down. Looking back at Kamsa): You know what, Kamsa? I think you're a fool. Did you ever think that maybe your actions is what would lead to your demise? Or that maybe that the sage was giving you a wake up call to change your behavior? Or even that the sage might be tricking you?
KAMSA(As Karma spoke to him, his smirk slowly falls): Well no your honor but -
JUDGE KARMA(Judge Karma interrupting Kamsa puts a hand up): Enough! Kamsa, your are undeserving of being king. I am stripping you of your royal title and granting it back to King Ugrasena. Furthermore, you will be imprisoned in the dungeons of Yadavas for the rest of your life like you did to your family members. If King Ugrasena decides he wants to do something else with you, he is welcome to but just know if you are set free, I will personally see to it that you do not get to live your life peacefully. In fact, I am designating Krishna to make your life a living hell if you are ever set free.
KAMSA(Kamsa looks at Judge Karma in shock): Your Honor, I know what I did was wrong. But
you have to understand that I was only trying to protect myself. Also Krishna killed people too!
JUDGE KARMA: See now that was your biggest mistake. You were only looking out for yourself. You did not care for your kingdom, your family, or anyone else. You had a dharma as an uncle, and a king, and you neglected it for your own gain. I hope you can makes things right in your next life but for now, all I'm going to say is, good riddance. And for the record, Krishna didn't commit murder. He was using self-defense and it wasn't just for himself. It was for everyone that YOU put in danger.
KAMSA(Kamsa looking at Krishna) : Krishna, you have to stop her, your my nephew. Please, we can work this out outside of the court.
KRISHNA: I'm afraid that's a little too late, Uncle.
JUDGE KARMA: The decision has been made! Kamsa, you will die at the hands of your own nephew.
I banged my gavel in finality.
![]() |
| Krishna kills Kamsa Image Source: Wikipedia |
AUTHOR'S NOTE: This story is based off the Bhagwat: The Krishna Avatar by Amar Chitra. In the original story a sage warns Kamsa about his death. He is told that one of Devaki's children will kill him. He holds Vasudeva and Devaki captive in a cell and kills all of their newborns but Vasudeva had manages to sneak Krishna out and switch him with his friend's baby, who was a girl. When he threw the baby girl, a goddess had appeared and cursed him. He had eventually found Krishna, and sent demons to go and kill him but Krishna was too powerful. Krishna kills Kamsa in a wrestling match. After he killed Kamsa, he gave the title of Yadavas back to his grandfather.
In this story, Judge Karma sentences Kamsa in way that allows him to live an unhappy life. I did that because I wanted Krishna still be able to have the power to kill him like he did in the original story. I felt like his death was too quick in the original story and that he didn't really pay for what he did.
Bibliography
Bhagwat: The Krishna Avatar by Amar Chitra Katha

No comments:
Post a Comment