Sunday, February 11, 2018

Week 5 Story: Rama the Mafia Boss

My brother Lakshmana and I were sitting in our cabin smoking cigars while we discussed how we were going to get Sita back. One of the enemy gangs leader, Ravana,  kidnapped her and is holding her for ransom but what he doesn't realize is that he messed with the wrong gang.

While we were discussing our plans to ambush Ravana and bring Sita back, and man walks in. We looked at him ready to pull out our guns in case he was one of Ravana's men but he put his hands up saying he was here for our help. Lakshmana and I exchanged looks before looking back at him. He said his name is Hanuman and that he was from the Monkey Gang. His leader, Sugriva sent him here to ask us for help and told us that Sugriva wanted to speak with us and the Hanuman would take us to him. This guy seemed pretty genuine so we accepted and got into our black Royce Phantom and followed him to the destination. 

We ended up at this Italian restaurant where a man was just casually by the bar sipping his drink. "Sugriva, I did what you asked. Don Rama and his brother Lakshmana are here." Sugriva looked over at us and told us to have a seat. "Thanks for coming." he said. "I called you here because my brother Bali has throw me out of my territory and claimed it for himself. From my understanding, I hear your wife's been kidnapped and being held ransom so I thought I'd make you a deal. How about you help me get my territory and I send some of my people to help you get your wife back. " 

I thought about this a for a few minutes. I could use some help to get my beloved wife Sita back so why not? "Fine. I'll help but if you don't hold your end of the deal, let's just say my dear brother here will be paying you a visit and not just for drinks." With that, we shook hands and discussed our plan to ambush his brother Bali and his gang. 

Eventually Bali gave up and gave the territory back to his brother. All I had to do was look at him and he looked like he was about to pee his pants. I'm still waiting for Sugriva to return the favor but he hasn't been answering my calls. It looks like someone forgot about our little deal. 

"Lakshman, what do you say we go pay our friend Sugriva a visit. He still hasn't held his end of the deal. We should go remind him.", I slid over the gun to him which he took and put in his pockets.

"Yes Boss." and with that he left the den. A few hours later he returned with Sugriva and threw him in front of me. I took a puff of my cigar before speaking. "Sugriva, long time no see. Did you forgot your friend already?" I asked him in a mocking tone. "I'm sorry I-I forgot  he replied with a shaky voice. "Fine I'll forgive you just this once but we still have a deal. Either you get your men here now or it's lights out for you." I cooly replied. "Sure anything for you Rama." he replied and quickly pulled out his phone. Within a few minutes his men were at my den ready to help. I smirked. 

Let the games begin. 

(pxhere)



Author's Note: So I decided to retell part of the story where Rama meets Hanuman and Sugriva who promises to help Rama defeat Ravana if he helps him fight Bali. Sugriva never fulfilled his promise so Lakshmana had gone to confront him and threatened to kill him if he didn't help them. 

I thought it would be kind of fun to make the characters be part of a mafia since they basically threatened to kill Sugriva if he didn't do what he promised. I wanted to make the story a little cynical to add some suspense to it and thought the turning them into mafia gangs would make it exciting. 

The story is based on Stories of God & Heroes: Rama and Sita by W.D. Monroe




4 comments:

  1. Hey Chandni! I really like how you incorporated the three separate gangs, it really brings a modern aspect to the Ramayana! In my Week 3 story, I wrote about Ravana being a mob boss, but didn't think about Rama being the head of his own gang, or a monkey gang existing either. This was a really cool way to have three of the big characters interacting. I'm not sure if you're doing a Storybook project, but this would be a cool story line to stick with throughout your stories, I feel like most of what happens in the Ramayana could easily be put into these sorts of terms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again, Chandni! I always like to read the original stories and then read a retelling with a modern twist. I like the Godfather-like feeling I get when reading your version of the story and I think the entire Ramayana would be interesting to read with that mob twist to it. I think it is a very unique twist to a classic story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again, Chandni!. This story is really neat and a great twist on the original story. I like how you made it a first person modern perspective of this story that really works well here. The mafia angle is cool and there are certainly some parallels to how things may have been handled in both situations. You also do a really good job of breaking you story up for easy readability.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chandni! I really liked the mob boss theme. It is definitely a unique take on the story. I think your dialogue was very well written. Pretty much all of it felt like a mobster was speaking it. I think you should consider giving the Italian restaurant an actual name. It might help the story feel more real since (at least in my head) mobsters would know all the restaurants because they are probably on the mob’s payroll. Great story overall!

    ReplyDelete