Five handsome men walk on to the stage in a line. They are wearing tuxes and smiling.
"First we have Yudhisthira! Yudhisthira was dressed in a white suite with black shoes. Not only is he the oldest of all the men, but he is also a man of virtue. He is also known to be very patient. His demeanor will calm who comes in contact with him. Yudhisthira enjoys poetry, music, and art. He's a man of few words but has a heart of gold. He also enjoys riding horses, and taking long walks on the beach."
"Yudhisthira, is there anything else you'd like to add?", asks Vasuki. His sweeps his black hair and looks at the crowd with his grey eyes and replies in a soft spoken voice, "Um, not really."
"Alright then! Next we have the notorious, Bhima!", announces Vasuki as he presents an intimidating looking young man. He is well-built with a nice tan and is dressed in a black shirt, pants, and combat boots. "If your into bad boys, then he is definitely the one for you. He will go against all odds even if it means breaking the laws to ensure your happiness. He is also quite the athlete. Besides causing havoc in society, he is also an MMA fighter and has recently won the world championship. He is always traveling and needs a lady that likes some adventure. Some of his hobbies are cooking, archery, and riding elephants." Is there anything you'd like to add Bheem?"
"I want a wife that is strong in spirit. She also needs to be loyal.", replies Bheem. "And there we have it! Bheem ladies and gentlemen!", says Vasuki. The crowd goes wild in excitement.
"Next, we have the fierce Arjuna!" Arjuna had black hair, and brown eyes. He is dressed in a black tuxedo. He casually stands on the stage and stares at the crowd with one hand in his pocket. "Arjuna is a master of archery and is also an MMA fighter. He is very competitive and likes a good challenge.", says the host. "Is there any-", Arjuna cuts Vasuki off.
"I don't want a weak wife. I want one who will stand by my side and fight with me.", says Arjuna in finality.
"Okay then...moving on! Here we have the charming Nakula! Nakula is a professional horse jockey. His hobbies are sword fighting and reading. He is known to be wise yet fierce. He is looking for a companion that enjoys riding horses and sword fighting just as much as he does. Would you like to add anything else Nakula?", asked the host.
"Nope", replies Nakula.
"Last but not least, we have the mysterious Sahadeva! He is wearing a black cowboy hat that covers his eyes with a black cape and cowboy boots. "Sahadeva is a professional bull rider but is not your typical cowboy. Unlike most cowboys, he has the gift to heal animals with the touch of his hands. His hobbies are....it looks like you didn't write anything down Sahadeva", Vasuki says as he looks at the mysterious man. Sahadeva smirks, and says "I'd rather surprise my lady."
"A man of mystery, I like it! Here we have it ladies and gentlemen! Our five bachelor's!"
The crowd claps in excitements.
| Pandavas Brothers and Draupadi (Wikipedia) |
Author's Note: I retold the story based off the Pandavas birth. Each of their characteristics was explained in the story. I wanted to try a new style of writing since my other ones are mostly dialogues. I had to do a little research to write this story since the Mahabharata is a little vague about their personalities. Each brother is dressed differently to show their unique personalities. The story doesn't emphasize how different each brother was so I thought I would write something that focuses on each of their personalities.
Vasuki is the host since in the original story, he gave each of the brothers their powers when they were born. I made Yudhisthira more quiet since I thought it would fit his calm and patient personality. I assumed that if he's patient, then he must also be a good listener as well. He is also more charming in this story than the original one.
The original story describes Bhima as being born with strength. I made him a bad boy in this story since he went against the law of the gods. His name means also means"of terrible might" so I figured a bad boy personality would fit him. I described him as well-built since he was born with strength. He says he needs a loyal lady because he doesn't want her to get tired of travelling with him and needs to be able to put up with his antics.
I made Arjuna seem aggressive since throughout the story, he's usually the one killing and fighting demons. He cuts off the host which demonstrates that he is also impatient.
I did not write much about Nakula and Sahadeva since there wasn't much about them throughout the story. However, I made them opposites in this story and did not mention them being related because of how different they are. After doing a little research, I learned that Sahadeva rode bulls and could heal animal, so I thought he would make a great cowboy. He is also mysterious and introverted which is why he didn't share his hobbies in the story like the others did.
Part B
PDE Mahabharata
Hi Chandni! I thought your story was pretty funny. I’ve always thought the bachelor was a little ridiculous, and adding the ridiculousness of the Mahabharata makes for a good combination. You did a good job of converting the Pandava brothers into a modern version of their princely selves. Can’t wait to see what happens when they all 5 choose the same wife!
ReplyDeleteHello again Chandi! I thought this story was hilarious! I never would of thought to make the story of the Pandavas into a parody of the Bachelor the way you have. It was really funny how you were able to kind of update the descriptions of the Pandavas into more modern versions of themselves. I would love to see a second part to this to see how things go from here.
ReplyDeleteHi Chandni! I loved your story. You made all of the characters more relatable to the reader. It was also nice to see how much attention you paid to the characters themselves. It is very easy to glide over a character in the epic because so many things are going on, but you even developed the character more. Overall, good job!
ReplyDelete